(510) 835-9000

I am a domestic partner and I want to end my relationship. Must I get a divorce?

Couples who have registered with the California Secretary of State must now file for divorce. The Superior Court must approve of the legal termination of the relationship—the same process as a traditional marriage. By state law, it takes a minimum of six months for termination of the partnership. Pending termination of the partnership, neither partner may register with another person.